[Saturday, December 01, 2007 | | 0 comments ]

I really miss my Hagenuk S200 Palm OS Smartphone. It died on me, or, more probable, the battery did. But it could run Java applications, the best being Google Maps for mobile phones.
The only thing missing was a feature telling you where you are. My phone didn't have a GPS module, but Google Maps helped me a lot in several occasions in Germany, where I had GPRS internet access very cheaply (www.symio.de, I can recommend this pay as you go SIM cards).
Well, now I won't need a GPS module anymore, it seems. Google is using the cell tower location to approximately tell you where you are. It is by far not as precise as GPS, but I imagine that it is a really big improvement over the older version of Maps.
But it is revision week, an assignment is to be delivered on Monday and others have already written about this. So check the fun genial video below and the following article.

http://lifehacker.com/
Just one more quick note: it seems that the best precision of Google Maps Mobile My Location feature is about 600 m or half a block.


0 comments

Post a Comment