[Monday, July 27, 2009 | | ]

I have had several blogs over the past 6 years. Or, better said, different versions of the same blog with different aims at different times in different places and languages.
All started as a personal diary on the internet, in Portuguese, for myself and as an experiment. It later evolved as a link to my family and friends while I was abroad, semi-public (robots.txt: no follow).
The third step was to join an online collective of Brazilian creatives, www.nightripping.com. That was eventually closed down and refurbished to something else by Nix. It was the move from semi-private to 100% public, from a circle of insiders to a general public. Until this point, I was still writing in Portuguese.
The next big change came with my decision to do an MBA. The blog would continue to be an important communication channel with family and friends, but it was clear to me that my audience would change dramatically as soon as I started to connect with MBA colleagues from all over the world. I changed the language to English and focused more on my experience on the 3 different campi I visited: Warwick in England, Kingston in Canada and Mannheim here in Germany. I also set as a goal to publish information I hadn't found on the internet while researching for my MBA, so that I could help prospective MBA students with their choice and daily life. It is cool to see that already the third class of Mannheim MBAs is using some of the info I put together.
After the MBA my blog lost a bit of its purpose. I could write about my job search or my new employers, but writing about what you do in your job is more critical. I was still new at DHL and, later, at the consulting company. After that, my job search took a lot of energy and I spent weeks without posting.
But I want to change that now. I arrived in Hamburg on the first of July and know exactly what I want to post about. Hamburg is such a great city that it is not difficult to come up with ideas and texts. I renamed the blog, changed its skin and believe that the name says it all. I will write mainly about Hamburg.
I will write about Social Hamburg. And, for me, Social has two meanings. First, as a new in town guy, getting to know people and understanding the social dynamics of the city. Second, Social stands for communication, for social media, which is a field which interests me greatly and which is very important to me during this job search, as it is the main channel for me to find vacancies and also an area I want to work in.
And I will also write about Blues Hamburg, in the musical sense. As a blues harp player music is very important to me, especially music in the North American tradition: soul, funk, rock, jam bands, country, southern rock, blue grass, rock 'n' roll, jazz and, of course blues.
Let's see how this goes.