[Friday, August 21, 2009 | | ]

This time the Social Media Club Hamburg meeting took place at the Hamburg offices of the Public Relations firm Weber Shandwick. Today is said to have been the hottest day in Hamburg this summer (the temperature in my room is still 28°C) so the idea of holding the get-together on the building's terrace was a good one. The view was certainly very nice, looking towards the city from the harbour.
Jörg and Mark from Weber Shandwick told us about their experience in using social media for the promotion of the first Android phone in the German market, T-Mobile's G1. I forgot to ask them if they had any for testing available, still ;)
From my perspective, the most interesting aspect of the presentation and the questions at the end was the insights into the relationship between a PR firm and its client and how actors at both sides act.
I made notes of the presentation using my Livescribe Pulse Smartpen and hope that the audio quality is good enough to publish it as a pencast. Let's see if the experiment works out, I have preliminary permission to do so.
After the presentation we enjoyed more of the summer evening on the patio with drinks and barbeque German style: sausages.
I left the event with Jan and Alex from Atenta and we ended up discussing how people will be using their mobile devices in 5 to 10 years. An interesting discussion involving Pokens, near field communication, interfaces, the increasing availability of computing power and storage, different stereotypical technology user profiles, Open Office and open source software in start-ups.
A warm day brings, usually, heavy rains; and I got caught in it, arriving pretty wet home. Nevertheless, it was a great evening meeting interesting people and getting to know acquaintances better.

Oh, by the way, have you checked the 2 posts in the blog series I am writing at the Wollmilchsau blog about my job search? Part 1 and 2. In German, I hope you enjoy.


On the patio, before the presentation



Jörg and Mark presenting in old-school style.


Very good attendance, as usual


More patio, this time with food


Well, almost.